Thursday, February 9, 2012

I am Debt Free, well except my house



I am going to post this everywhere that I can because Aaron doesn't want me calling Dave Ramsey's show to do the shoutout. I guess I will just have to do it on my blog. "I am debt free". This post has a lot of bragging in it but after a year of couponing and trying hard not to spend money I think we deserve it.

Today Aaron paid off the last installment of his student loan and I am so stinking excited I can't stand it!!!!

We paid off $20,900 dollars worth of debt, mostly student loan, in thirteen months. Fourteen months ago I didn't even know who Dave Ramsey was and then last Christmas my mom asked for the book Total Money Makeover as a gift. I glanced through it before wrapping it and decided to read it before I gave it to her. The concept sounded easy enough and I told my hubby that I thought we could do it. As it turns out, it isn't easy but it isn't very hard either. You can do whatever you want with your money you just have to prioritize. Would you rather order Chinese Food on Saturday night or go bowling on Sunday morning?
Because we were trying to be frugal I also learned how to coupon which I love! It's more of an addiction at this point. I don't think I would stop even if I won the lottery.
If I can do it anyone can. We are a family living on a single income. I do not work outside the home or do anything extra to earn money. I haven't received a W2 in almost four years.
I cannot describe how much our quality of life has increased since starting this program last year. It has allowed me to be a stay at home mom and also take fabulous two week vacations to Southern California.
If you have ever thought about taking control of your finances you should go and get this book. It will honestly change your life if you just follow it!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes!! I'm so proud of you. Mike and I are almost there with you and we WILL call Dave when it's done. We started with $25,700 almost 16 months ago and after this week (tax refund) we will owe $4000. You are right that it can be done and the quality of life goes up in a huge way. Well done!

Unknown said...

That's exciting now all you have to do left is your house!!!